Students must attend a ninimum of 75% of the class lectures. Students whose attendance falls below the mandatory 75% will not be allowed to appear for the End Semester Examination. Their names will automatically be struck off the College Roll. Consequently, fresh admissions to the first semester will have to be sought. Attendence exceeding 75% will be incentivised in the following manner: Points/ Marks Attendance percentage 1 percentage pojnt 76% to 80% 2 percentage point 81% to 85% 3 percentage point 86% to 90% 4 percentage point 91% to 95% 5 percentage point 96% to 100% Example If a student’s attendance in History Paper I falls between 81-85% he/she will be incentivised with 2 marks. Similarly he/she will be incentivised in each of the courses/ papers if the attendance exceeds 75%.
The Sikkim University Anti Ragging Regulations are based on various observations and decisions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India to curb the menace of ragging in Educational Institutions. Observations made by Supreme Court of India on Ragging.
The following are the key observations made by Hon’ble Supreme Court of India on the menace of ragging in Educational Institutions and measures to curb it.
- Ragging adversely affects the standards of higher education.
- Primary responsibility for curbing ragging rests with academic institutions themselves.
- Incentives must be available to the institution for curbing the menace and there should be disincentives for failure to do so.
- Enrolment in academic pursuits or a campus life should not immunize any adult citizen from penal provisions of the laws of the land.
- Ragging needs to be perceived as a failure to inculcate human values from the schooling stage.
- A concerted action is required at the level of the school, higher eductaional institution, district admministration, university, state and central governments.
- Media and civil society should be involved in this exercise.
The decision and directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court have been adopted by the University Grants Commission in the Expert Committee meeting held on 13th April 2009 and circulated to all the Universities vide No F.1-16/2007 (CPP-II) dated 17th June, 2009 titled “UGC Regulations on curbing the menace of ragging in Higher Educational Institutions 2009” (under Section 26 (1) (g) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956). This regulation underlines that “Ragging in all its forms shall be totally banned in the entire institution, including its departments, constituent units, all its premises (academic, residential, sports, canteen, etc) whether located within the campus or outside and in all means of transportation of students whether public or private and the institution shall take strict action those found guilty of ragging and /or of abetting ragging”.
The Recommendations of Shri R. K. Raghavan Committee
Hon’ble Supreme Court had constituted a high level committee to study and recommend the measures to prevent ragging in the educational institutions and punishes those indulges into it. This committee headed by Shri R. K. Raghavan has classified ragging into four and recommended the following punishments:
- Verbal Ragging : When senior causes mental harassment, discomfort for the junior by forcing him/ her to answer unacceptable / personal questions, dance, sing, etc. is said to rag the junior. It also includes within its ambit “cyber ragging”.Punishment : 1 year imprisonment or fine
- Severe Verbal Ragging : Where the mental harassment, discomfort is to such an act as forces the junior to withdraw from the college.Punishment : 7 year imprisonment with fine.
- Physical Ragging : Any act by the senior towards the junior which inflicts bodily injury on the junior, like beating the junior, hitting him/ her with objects, etc.
- Sexual Ragging: where the senior asks the junior to do an act which damages sexual dignity of the junior.Punishment : 7 year rigorous imprisonment and fine.
By following the instructions of Supreme Court and the UGC in toto, Sikkim University has already been implemented the same by formulating its own Rules and Regulations to curb the menace of Ragging in the University. This booklet carries the full text of these regulations titled “Sikkim University Anti-Ragging Regulations 2009 – 10 to curb the menace of Ragging”. Sikkim University Anti-Ragging Regulations – 2009 – 10 In exercise of the power conferred by Sikkim University Act, 2007, the Executive Council of SIKKIM UNIVERSITY 6TH Mile, Tadong P.O., Gangtok, Sikkim (INDIA) hereby makes the following Regulations, namely SIKKIM UNIVERSITY Anti-Ragging Regulations 2009-10 to curb the Menace of Ragging.
- Title, commencement and applicability
- These regulations shall be called the “SIKKIM UNIVERSITY Anti-Ragging Regulations 2009-10 to Curb the Menace of Ragging”.
- This Regulation shall come into force with immediate effect.
- This Regulation shall be applied within the campus area of Sikkim University and all the institutions affiliated to Sikkim University, including the academic, residential, sports, canteen or other shops available in the University/ college or campus or outside and to all means of transportation of students.
- Policy, Aims and Objectives
- Anti-ragging Policy: Ragging is strictly banned in the premises of Sikkim University and all its affiliated institutions. If anybody found indulging in such activities, strict action will be taken irrespective of the extent.
- The objective of the regulation is to prevent all forms of ragging in the premises of Sikkim University and the institutions/ colleges affiliated to it and also take proper action and spell out suitable punishments to those found guilty.
- This regulation aims to root out ragging in all its forms from the Sikkim University and the institutions affiliated to Sikkim University by prohibiting ragging by law and preventing its occurrence by following the provisions of the Regulations of Supreme Court, UGC and Sikkim University.
- “University” means SIKKIM UNIVERSITY 6TH Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim (INDIA) established by an act of Parliament of India and the Nine colleges/ institutions affiliated to it.
- “Head of the Institution” means ‘Vice Chancellor’ in the University and Principal in the affiliated colleges.
- Ragging means the following:“Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student”.
- Punishable ingredients of raggingAs per the Sikkim University Anti-Ragging Regulations, the following are the punishable ingredients of ragging
- abeting to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to rag;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and moral through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confiniement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault as well as sexual offences or even unnatural offences;
- Criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any / all of the above mentioned offences against the victims.
- All other offences following from the definition of :Ragging”
- Measures for prohibition of raggingThe University shall strictly observe the provisions of these regulations in addition to provisions made by Centre or State Governments for the prohibition of ragging. University shall constitute Anti- Ragging Committees and Anti-Ragging Squads in all the institutions under Sikkim University. Strict disciplinary actions shall be taken against those found guilty of ragging and / or of abetting ragging.
- Measures for Prevention of RaggingThe University shall collect undertaking from all the students and parent/ guardian in the given format (see annexure) to the effect that they are aware of the law in this regard and agrees to abide by the punishment meted out to his/ her ward in case the student is found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging. A student seeking admission to the hostel shall have to submit another undertaking to the Warden concerned hostel along with his/ her application for hostel accommodation. The Institute shall identify, properly illuminate and man all vulnerable locations. Besides the faculties/ departments/ units of the Institute shall have induction arrangements (including those which anticipate, identify and plan to meet any special needs of any specific section of students) in place well in advance of the beginning of the academic year with a clear sense of the main aims and objectives of the induction process.
- Anti- Ragging Committee
- The Anti-Ragging Committee :-The University form Anti-Ragging Committee in all the Affiliated institutions/colleges and hostels to effectively prevent ragging. The Anti-Ragging committee shall be headed by the Head of the Institution (Principal in case of College and dean in case of teaching school) and shall consist of representatives of the faculty members, parents, students from Fresher’s category as well as seniors and non- teaching staff. It shall monitor the anti- ragging activities in the institution and take appropriate disciplinary actions.
- The structure of the Anti-Ragging Committee in the colleges affiliated to Sikkim University :-The by the Principal of the College will be the Head of the Anti-ragging Committee. It shall consist of the Head of the Departments, two representatives of faculty members (one male and one female), representatives of the parents (one for each batch of students), students (one girl and one from each batch) and non teaching staff one male and one female). The Committee shall take appropriate decisions, including spelling out suitable punishments to those involved in ragging and found guilty.
- The functions of the Anti-Ragging Committee in the Colleges affiliated to Sikkim University :-This Committee is assigned to Collect Undertaking from Students and Parents during the time of admissions and the beginning of every academic year. The Committee should report the University on any ragging case noticed within 24 hours. It should conduct enquiry, if necessary and take disciplinary action against the culprit(s) within 48 hours of occurrence of ragging/ receiving any complaint. The committee shall maintain the copy of all the ragging related documents with them and should submit the original of all the documents (complaint received enquiry report if any, action taken report, etc), to the Chairman, Anti-ragging Committee, Sikkim University within 7 days. The Committee also organize awareness programmes – seminars/ workshops/ posters and banners – in the college and organzise interactive sessions between junior students and senior students in the presence of teachers.
- Anti- ragging Squads (colleges, teaching departments and hostels)
- The Anti-Ragging Squad shall be nominated by the Head f the institution with such representation as considered necessary and shall consist of members belonging to the various sections of the campus Community.
- The structure of the Anti – Ragging Squad: The anti-ragging aquad shall be headed by the Dean of students or senior faculty members. Faculty members (both male and female) and students will also be members in the squad.
- The functions of Anti-Ragging Squad
- The Squad will have vigilant, overseeing and patrolling functions.
- The squads shall be mobile, alert and active at all times during their assigned duty hours and shall be empowered to inspect places of potential ragging and make surprise raids on hostels and other hot spots.
- This squad will observe various places in the campus (canteen, library, stadium, common rooms, academic blocks, etc.)
- Regular interaction with junior students
- Collect information on ragging from all possible sources.
- The Convener of each squad should report any incident of / information on ragging immediately to the Chairman of the College level anti-ragging committee.
- Anti-Ragging Squad in the Hostels.
The Chairman of the College Level Anti-Ragging Committee is assigned to form Hostel Level Anti- Ragging Committee/ squad(s). Other wardens and representatives of inmates will be members in this committee/ squad. This squad will collect information on ragging in the hostel and report immediately to the Chairman of the College Level Anti-Ragging Committee.
- Method of ActionImmediately after receiving the complaint from the victim or from the anti ragging squad, the Chairman of college level committee should form an enquiry committee should form an enquiry committee consists of members from anti-ragging committee and squad. The enquiry committee should conduct preliminary enquiry and submit the report within 24 hours. The college level committee should take immediate disciplinary action against the culprit, once the report is received.
- PunishmentsDepending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti- Ragging Committee of the Institute, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the Institute level shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the Institute in any regional, national or international meets, tournament, youth festival, etc
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
- Rustication from the Institute for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
- Expulsion from the Institute and consequent debarring from admission to any other Institute.
- Fine of Rs 25,000 to 1 lakh
- Collective punishments:when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the Institute shall resort to collective punishments as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
- Final Appellate Authority
The Vice Chancellor, Sikkim University, Tadong, Gangtok shall be final appellant authority. The Vice Chancellor, Sikkim University shall be competent to make any addition or any alteration in the “SIKKIM UNIVERSITY Anti-Ragging Regulations 2009-10 to curb the Menace of Ragging”
THE SEMESTER SYSTEM
Under the new semester system, there will be centralized examination system. The semester system makes the students more accountable and therefore more focused on the course work. Accountability will also help to control absenteeism considerably. Course work is also intensive and performance oriented compelling the student to keep up with the lectures and assignments on a daily basis. The will lead to a more personal interaction between teachers and students resulting in a more comprehensive social and academic atmosphere.
- Rigorous and one-on-one and continuous system of evaluation.
- Assignments must be completed within the stipulated time frame.
- in the end of the year examination module, students tend to take their courses lightly, which is not true of the semester system.
- Trains students to excel and build up confidence
- Institutional attachment increases sharply.
- Increased numbers of courses, leading to a broader based education
A student is required to complete his/her Degree within 6 Semesters (3 years). However, under extra-ordinarily special circumstances, a candidate may ask for a zero semester. Each of these cases would be referred to the academic council of the University for its decision on such request. Under such a situation a student has to repeat the entire semester. Students asking for zero semester should apply in the prescribed format to the Sikkim University through the Head of the institution, Sikkim Govt. College, Tadong.
Promotion to the Next Semester
For the General Courses (B.A./B.Com/B.SC) in order to qualify for promotion from one semester to the immediate next semester, a candidate needs to maintain a minimum aggregate of 40% marks and must also score at least 35% mark in individual paper/subject.
Students must strictly observe and follow all the rules and regulations and traditions of the college. All students must conduct themselves befitting their status as students of the College both within and outside the campus. They are answerable to the Principal for their behaviour in general and within the college campus in particular. Insubordination or misconduct of any kind, indecent gestures or remarks, offensive graffiti or postering will be viewed as a serious breach of discipline. Such cases will be dealt with severely and the defaulter will be expelled from the Institution without any notice. Smoking, gambling, use or possession of alcohol/drugs by the student is prohibited at all times. Such cases, regardless of circumstances will result in immediate expulsion without any further appeal for readmission. Students are expected to acquaint themselves regularly with the information displayed on the college notice boards. No fund collection for any purpose whatsoever shall be allowed in the college without the explicit permission of the Principal. Students must carry their Identity Card with them at all times as they may be asked to produce the same at any time.
Any person, people or students other than the authorised official/ staff, if found mis-handling the college gate and properly willbe automatically subjected to law and the Police. Students living on their own must make satisfactory living arrangements with a local guardian approved of by the Principal.
Students requiring railway/air travel concessionshould apply to the Principal in the appropriate form (s) at least three days in advance. Requests for immediate issus of such concession will not be entertained.
University Registration Card:
Sikkim University will issue University Registration card to all such students who apply for University registration through submission of prescribed filled in form and on completion of other necessary formalities. Students shall renew this Registration Card everytime he/she in promoted to next semester, by filling up of relevant semester programme card.
*Students are advised to maintain an attendance diary.